Dear Sugar Fiend, Here’s Five Ways To Crush The Craving.

Well. No WONDER we’re all addicted to sugar. It’s in EVERYTHING. For real. According to the USDA’S US Consumption of Caloric Sweeteners, in 2011 the average American consumed 76.7 pounds of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and other sweeteners annually. I feel sick just thinking about it. Mainly, because I would bet good money that in 2011, I consumed MORE sugar than the average American. Well, maybe not 2011. But definitely in 2010. I know I hadn’t yet taken ownership of my health in 2010.

And then I found this infographic. Their sources are listed at the bottom, and they’re saying American’s consume 130 pounds of sugar annually. Good Lord.


Nursing Your Sweet Tooth~~

And, isn’t it wonderful to know that sugar is just as addictive as cocaine? Ah, warm fuzzies.

Ok, so to crush sugar cravings…


  1. Get some sleep.
    As in eight hours of high-quality sleep. Nightly. Your body needs REM sleep to grow and repair from the day’s stress. When we don’t get enough sleep, our metabolism and health suffer. And then we reach for sugar to keep us awake.
  2. Eat real food.
    A novel concept, I know. Eat real food at every meal. But I’ll get a little specific here. Have some protein – turkey, chicken, or fish. Have some fat – like coconut oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil, or avocado. Have some fiber – kale, spinach, apple, plum, banana, or snap peas.
  3. Use condiments. 
    Have a plethora of condiments readily available to flavor your food and drinks. Put them on a lazy-Susan in your dining room and play! Put as much cinnamon as you can stand on any and all of your foods. It does wonders to decrease inflammation and stabilize blood sugar. I like using gomasio instead of salt and coconut aminos instead of soy sauce for savory flavors. To avoid the real and fake sugars in salad dressings, I’ve found olive oil (or grapeseed oil) with pepper is surprisingly tasty! Who knew? Go into it with an open mind, keep it fun, and play around!
  4. Spoil yourself.
    Eat really nourishing foods and drinks 90 percent of the time. And the other 10%? Give yourself permission to thoroughly enjoy the moment and “be bad”. Ooooh. You rebel. Just be sure to invest in your badness. So when you are off eating chocolate, be sure it’s uber-high quality luxury chocolate and NOT the wax-filled wannabe chocolate at the checkout line.
  5. Decide that you’re bigger than your craving.
    Realize your craving popped up. Drink some water or tea. Know you’re going to give yourself 10 minutes before you act on your craving. Start in on a project – anything from filing papers to starting a bath, from knocking out a few emails to a home-improvement project, from stepping outside for a few breathes of fresh air to reconnecting with that higher version of yourself for clarity of purpose. Do something other than dwell on your craving.

Want more on kicking cravings?

Let’s schedule a 1-on-1 (in person or over-the-phone) strategy session to help you get clear on your next steps.


All the Best To Your Health And Happiness!




About Sara

Sara Hefty (B.B.A. and H.H.C.) teaches workaholic women how to have it all and flourish without burning out, binging or being spiteful. As an expert in transformational health coaching, she holds women accountable for letting go of unwanted weight, being brilliantly nourished, grounded in truth and feeling confident, happy and playful every single day.

As a woman with her own weight loss story, wide-ranging family heritage of cancer, and a graduate of the Institute of Integrative Nutrition, Sara’s appreciation for convenient nutrient-dense food, personal growth, inspiring design, financial responsibility, and social entrepreneurship led to her “Pursuit of Ownership: Health, Home, and Legacy” model of heart-on-fire-hot empowered living.

Sara is the founder of PROJECT LUX and She currently lives in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, with her husband Brian and hound-dog Raja.